Pay: $ DOE
FLSA Status: Non-exempt/Full time
Hours: 40 per week.
Objective of the Position: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Position Summary: The Street Outreach Worker is responsible for performing street outreach to the homeless county-wide including reaching out to individuals and families that are not being served or are underserved by existing community service delivery systems, building trusting relationships and developing a rapport that lead to acceptance and openness to seeking help, engaging the homeless as a first step to accepting care for immediate health and safety needs, using services and resources and taking steps to become integrated into the community, enabling individuals to accept placement and opportunities to stabilize their lives and utilizing diversion practices, crisis response and intervention, shelter referrals, interim housing placement, and linking individuals with the appropriate destination for continued services.
Education, Experience, and Skills Required:
- High School Diploma required, BA in social services preferred.
- Previous experience working or volunteering with individuals and/or families experiencing homelessness or equivalent, related work experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; organizational, conflict resolution and computer literacy.
- Prior experience and understanding of causes of homelessness; experience working within social services.
- Knowledge of Housing First and Street Outreach methods.
- Cooperative, friendly, and helpful attitude with clients and co-workers. Ability to work closely with other employees to ensure positive, constructive environment within the program or department, and throughout the agency.
- Ability to thrive in a flexible, fast-paced, and growth-oriented environment, while maintaining a sense of humor and a positive, solution-oriented approach.
- Ability to work under pressure. Experience in crisis intervention and problem solving with ability to diffuse situation without heightening the conflict.
- Ability to thrive in a flexible, fast paced and growth-oriented environment, while maintained a positive, solution-oriented approach.
- Have working knowledge of community resources.
- Ability to learn and apply various engagement techniques to a variety of situations.
- Passion and enthusiasm for the mission of GSM and clients.
- Possess valid driver’s license; at least state required minimum of auto insurance. Must be willing and able to travel/drive throughout Lake County.
- Computer literacy required, including experience with Excel, Outlook, Word, etc.
- Background check required
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.