Job Title: Our Place Drop in Center-Manager/Certified Peer Support Specialist
Prepared By: Chelsey Caulfield/Theresa Ortega
Department: Admin, direct services, GSM off site office management
Reports to: Theresa Ortega, E.D.
FLSA Status: Non-exempt/Full time
Hours: 40 per week.
Objective of the Position: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to provide supervision and manage for Our Place while following the grant requirements from AMDD. The requirements listed below are representative of lived experiences, knowledge of Our Place philosophy, skill, and/or ability required for managing an offsite entity of Good Samaritan Ministries. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. This individual must be able to work semi-independent, make quick decisions, and while adhering to all of GSM’s policies and procedures,
while incorporating with Our Place standards.
The manager of Our Place will also provide Health Peer Support by peer-based recovery support in the process of giving and receiving non-clinical assistance to achieve long-term recovery or in the process of certification with an end date from mental health, physical health, and substance abuse issues. This support is provided by individuals who are experientially credentialed and trained to assist others in initializing recovery, maintaining recovery, and enhancing the quality of personal and family life in long-term recovery.
● Works as part of a multidisciplinary team at Our Place and within the community to help consumers to develop a personal recovery plan and identify opportunities to provide support as clients work to achieve their recovery goals.
● Promotes client self-determination and decision-making.
● Facilitate a peer support group(s) as needed and requested.
● Coaches and supports clients who are developing the necessary skills for integration into the community.
● Supervises, coaches, and supports Our Place staff on a day-to-day basis for the success of Our Place services.
Grant Funded Position
● Advocates for clients and staff working in recovery or post-recovery that are developing life skills and building confidence to attain life goals and empowerment through physical, spiritual, or emotional health.
● Interacts with referral contacts within the community. Links clients to resources
identified within the wellness recovery plan.
● Attend community meetings to include but are not limited to GSM staff meetings, required training, Local Advisory Committee, NAMI, other requirements, and Pureview, St Petes, Our Place representative.
● Models’ competency in recovery and maintaining ongoing wellness.
● Monitors and supports staff through peer support and reports progress or concerns to the treatment team.
● May participate with Crisis Response Team calls or designate staff to the CRT.
● Must be willing to publicly self-identify as being in recovery from mental health,
substance use, or addiction diagnosis.
● Must be able to take direction from the E.D., and give direction, be prompt, take
initiative, complete tasks as assigned, and be able to work effectively as part of a team.
● Participate in regular clinical supervision and ensure staff participates in supervision as directed by the grant.
● Collect data as directed for program evaluation.
● Complete monthly reports and documentation in a timely manner to disseminate to appropriate entities.
● Work with outside partners to bring groups, training, and other events to the Drop-in
Center, to include Saturday community barbeque.
● Complete employee evaluations, work on budget and programing with Executive Director
● Other duties as assigned.
● Must self-identify as a client of mental health and/or substance abuse.
● Must have some knowledge and experience of severe mental illness and treatment and its impact on consumers/survivors and their families.
● Must have and maintain state Behavioral Health Peer Support Specialist (BHPSS) certification or in process with a tentative completion date.
● Must possess good communication skills and adhere to the Code of Ethics(attached)
● Complete and pass the following training: Peer Support 101; ASIST; Trauma-Informed Care training.
● Must complete the training required per Good Samaritan Ministries including but not limited to VIRTUS within 30 days of employment.
● Must have a Montana valid driver’s license, personal vehicle, and current commercial vehicle insurance.
Grant Funded Position
All staff providing transportation must complete an online Safe Driving Course within the first month.
● Ensure all staff complete and submit training to submit to human resources at
● AA or BA in Social Services or related field; or education/training and work experience combined may qualify.
● Previous experience or knowledge of community services, social work, or a related field.
● Knowledge of Word, Excel, Outlook and willing to learn new data-basedprograms.
● May be required to lift and carry objects weighing up to 35lbs, team lifting for more than 35lbs.
● Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time while working on the computer.
● Spends work hours interacting with staff, customers, or those in need of support to include crisis interaction.
Working Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
● May work both on and off-campus to attend community meetings, transport clients outside Helena for treatment or other client needs.
● Work in a fast-paced environment with heavy traffic flow, and heart-wrenching situations on and off throughout the day
● Travel required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the work being performed by employees in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. The Good Samaritan Ministries Management reserves the right to amend and change the responsibilities to meet the store needs at any time.