Job Title: Full-Time Cashier
Reports to: Marlene Elledge
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Mission Statement: Good Samaritan Ministries, motivated by Catholic social teaching, works in our community to advance family life, human dignity and the common good. We provide services to meet the physical, social, emotional, and spiritual needs of individuals and families of all faiths, especially those most in need.
Objective of the Position: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Cashier is responsible for operating cash registers, credit cards, personal check sales as well as voucher transactions from our Ministry program. They maintain a clean, organized, and safe environment which is pleasing for employees and customers. They are responsible for responding to “Back-up” cashier calls. They will possess cashier, and cash handling skills. Excellent Customer Service is a must. They must possess the ability to be flexible and work other assigned projects and duties as necessary and instructed. Skills needed for this position are attention to detail, multi-tasking, organizational, able to take instruction, works consistently throughout the shift, complete all tasks given.
Essential Functions: Duties and Responsibilities including but not limited to the following
- Operates cash registers, cash transactions, credit cards, personal check sales, as well as voucher transactions
- Ensures Check Rite machine is used on all check transactions
- Acts as the first point of contact by greeting and assisting customers, treating all with dignity and respect
- Responsible when a “Back-Up’ cashier is called that you respond and cover for the time period needed.
- Answers incoming calls when the Receptionist is not available
- Responsible for managing the flow of the front counter and cash register
- May be required to tidy up the dressing rooms
Other Cashier Responsibilities:
- When you have down time ensures shelves are stocked for daily sales, especially during ½ price sale
- Responsible for keeping assigned cashier areas clean and orderly, while keeping displays pleasing to the customer’s eye.
- Assists with “pull downs” at the end of the month or as directed.
- Puts away processed and priced merchandise to the correct departments as time allows
- Adheres to all building safety requirements, as well as follows procedure when an incident, accident or injury has occurred.
- Adheres to all store lifting policies and weight restrictions
- In the event a co-worker is out, potentially be willing to cover for staff and/or area
- Greets and assists customers, treating all with respect and dignity
- Works consistently through the day with approved breaks. When area duties are “caught up”, finds other tasks or projects to stay busy in the effort to support the store and co-workers
- Takes initiative to help others by picking up around the store (inside and out), moving empty carts into cart area when needed
- Other duties as necessary
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interacts and communicates professionally and effectively while maintaining open communication with supervisors, and other team members, customers and clients.
- Functions as a team member for the success of the Good Samaritan Store
- Learns New Tasks
- Follows Directions and Policies
- Attends work on a regular basis with minimal absences or tardiness
- Attends all meetings and trainings as required
- Other duties as assigned
- Organized, sets priorities, meets deadlines and works with minimum supervision
- Excellent customer service skills while dealing with customers, co-workers, and volunteers
- Must be a team player
- Valid MT Driver’s License, or valid MT Identification Card, and social security card for hiring purposes and dependent upon position.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Previous experience or knowledge of thrift store operations
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, Frequent Lifting, carrying, and transporting of objects weighing up to 25lbs.
- Mobility within the facility
Working Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Mainly works inside the building
- Fast paced store environment with heavy traffic flow on and off throughout the day
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the work being performed by employees in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. The Good Samaritan Ministries Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet the store needs.