Thursday, January 25th Good Samaritan Ministries celebrated the announcement of the new Hunthausen Fund with a reception at Carroll College. In Attendance were Archbishop Raymond Huthausen and Fr. Jack Hunthausen, two of the three siblings for which the fund was named.
The fund is a “hands-up” approach to reducing homelessness and will pay first month’s rent and deposit to applicants who are precariously housed.
Good Samaritan will start taking applications for the Hunthausen Fund July 1 2018 at the start of their new fiscal year.
The fund is collaboration between Good Samaritan Ministries and the Hunthausen Family. County Commissioner Andy Hunthausen brought the idea to Good Samaritan Ministries director Theresa Ortega, to establish a fund for those precariously housed in the Helena Area.
The fund would be modeled after a fund of the same name operating in the Seattle Area. Seattle’s Hunthausen fund is named after Andy’s uncle, Archbishop Raymond Hunthausen, who served a time in the area.
The Hunthausen fund at Good Samaritan is named in honor of the extraordinary ministry of Archbishop Hunthausen, Fr. John (Jack) Hunthausen and Sr. Edna Hunthausen. All three siblings are champions of Social Justice, working for the poor and needy in Montana
The Hunthausen Fund is for homeless individuals and families seeking one-time move-in cost assistance. The program guidelines are as follows:
· Applicants who qualify must be precariously housed meaning homeless, couch surfing, living with family members, living in vehicle or tent, and any other inhabitable or unsafe conditions.
· Applicants must have identified housing, been approved, and ready to move-in.
· The housing assistance amount has both grant and loan portions. We ask that recipients pay back 50% of the assistance so other homeless households can continue to benefit from the services in the future.
· Applicants may move-in to Lewis and Clark, Broadwater or Jefferson County
· Housing must be permanent, we will not assist with move-in costs for transitional housing.
Please feel free to contact the Good Samaritan Assistance Program, Corbin Bruursema or Theresa Ortega at (406) 442 0780with any questions you may have or online www.goodsamhelena.org
GSM Mission Moments
Success stories from our Mission. You can be a hero by supporting Good Samaritan and those in need in Helena .